|Update on CentrePort Earthquake Response|
|Tuesday, 15 November 2016 12:09|
CentrePort has conducted preliminary engineering assessments of its port infrastructure, following the 7.5 magnitude earthquake that struck North Canterbury early Monday, while also managing adverse weather conditions today.
The company had managed to get ferries operating last night and is expected to open its Seaview oil terminal later today, subject to final testing.
Two of its commercial buildings – the BNZ and Customs House – performed well and the company was working with tenants and engineers on a timetable for reoccupation.
Two other buildings – Statistics House and Shed 39 – will require more extensive inspections to assess the level of damage.
Chief Executive Derek Nind said the company had been working with its tenant to coordinate a planned refurbishment of the Statistics House when the earthquake hit, causing localised damage to two floors on the North West corner of the building.
“We had just completed upgrades of the upper floors, which performed well.
“A small part of the ceiling on the ground floor and the first floor have partially dislodged after two concrete beams became separated from the exterior wall of the building.”
Mr Nind said the planned upgrade and refurbishment was based on the advice of earthquake engineers and were being coordinated with the tenants.
Shed 39 – home to the Greater Wellington Regional Council – also performed well thanks to a seismic upgrade in 2013, but suffered damage to the ground floor.
“Engineers will conduct further assessments in due course.
“We understand this is challenging and confronting for customers and tenants and we’ve continued to keep them updated on the situation.”
Mr Nind said the port also suffered damage to some wharves and roadways with some liquefaction and differential settlement in places.
He said staff were working hard to get assessments done so the port could resume operations safely and as early as practicable.
- ends -