|CentrePort Considers Options for Earthquake-Damaged Buildings|
|Wednesday, 30 November 2016 13:10|
CentrePort says it is working closely with Wellington City Council and other stakeholders on various options for a number of its port buildings that were seriously damaged in the 7.8 magnitude earthquake on 14th November 2016.
Chief Executive Derek Nind says the company was focussed on safety and the resumption of port services.
“We’ve got ferries, fuel, logs, cars, and cruise ships operating successfully and we’re working on solutions for our container service.
“Nevertheless, we have sustained significant damage across the port and are working closely with Wellington City Council and others on various options for our port buildings, which includes potential repair through to removal.”
Mr Nind says some earthquake-prone buildings had already been earmarked for removal before the earthquake, including two warehouses on Aotea Quay.
Shed 35 – a vacant cargo store on Kings Wharf was also earthquake prone and had suffered damage in the 14th November earthquake.
The 1915 building is heritage-listed and has been vacant for many years because of its earthquake prone status.
Mr Nind said the company was working through a thorough process to consider all the options, which would involve the city council and other stakeholders.
- ENDS -